Thursday, January 28, 2010

January, New Year, Again!

January is a cold month. It is an anti-climactic month (follows the business of the holidays). For an accountant (that would be me) it is a month when one year is "closed" and another is "opened". All the work that is done by all the employees for all the customers is reduced to a few sheets of paper with numbers on them. We use that document as a management tool to evaluate the year, to make improvements, and to plan ahead.

I guess the 35 years I have been a "bean counter" in one way or another have given me some patterns for me own life. So . . . .

In January I "close" the year. I try to put away negative feelings -- grudges, self-pity, whatever might be weighing me down. That can be easy or hard depending on the nature of the year, and the answer for the biggest ones is a spiritual process. I reduce everything that has happened into a summary (for my history) or into a scrapbook. I send things to the D.I. I straighten drawers, closets, and cupboards.

Then, I "open" the new year. I decide what I will do better. Some people call that making resolutions. I remind myself of the general areas where I need to improve and when I settle on one or two that seem the most imperative, I write down a goal-setting plan. This consists of a long-term goal with interim steps that will get me there.

This sounds pretty great! The reality is that I have done this MANY, MANY years -- only some of the goal-setting plans have worked really well. Some of them have been successful -- sort of. Some have fallen by the wayside. Some have reappeared in subsequent years, and may yet appear again.

I also review my "affairs". My kids don't like me to tell them about the stuff they need to know if I die. They think I never will. Well, they are wrong, so every year (in January) I remind them of that stuff. While they don't want to hear it, they will find that I do it out of my love for them. When I do leave this world, they will have some emotional feelings to deal with -- but the "stuff" will all be prepared.

This week I reviewed the affairs. I updated my estate book and reminded the kids where to find it. I put copies of my health care directive in all the places that someone might look if I'm in a coma. I checked phone numbers for my attorney, my estate planner, my insurance guy, etc. etc. -- to be sure they are current. I inventoried my safety deposit box and brought it up to date.


AND JUST NOW, I cleaned my desk off really well. I'M READY FOR 2010!

No comments:

Why I'm called "Nutter Grandma"

Many years ago, one of my daughters married a man with children. The youngest was barely learning to talk. His father told his kids they were going to have another grandma. The next time one of them saw me, he called me "Nutter Grandma" and it stuck.

Then, I became a grandma of my own sweet grandchildren. As of now, there are nine. I always hope for more -- but the older my children (and grandchildren) get, the less likely that is.

Later, I became a "step" grandma and a "step" great grandma. So, in many ways, I am still Nutter Grandma. Amazingly, no matter how many of those little ones come into my life, and no matter how they come, I love them all!

P.S. In 2010 I became "step" grandma to a few more grandchildren when I married (yup, again). I guess those little ones who called me "Nutter Grandma" almost 30 years ago knew what they were doing.