Saturday, February 13, 2010

WISDOM TO ACCEPT . . . . . .

For the better part of six months, I have thought seriously and quite favorably about running for office again. MANY people have suggested it. MANY people have offered support and encouragement. It is something I want to do.

BUT > > > > It's something I will not do. Why?

It's not the right time. I have lived much of my life. Perhaps most of my life. I realize on a regular basis that I have lived more years than either of my parents and more years than any of my grandparents. I have not checked my great-grandparents, but I have probably lived more years then most of them.

SO > > > > I must accept (reluctantly and with a shiver) that it is time for me to hang up a few hats, including the "elected official" hat. Politics interest me. The process interests me. The hard work energizes me. And the people fascinate me.

BUT > > > > It is time for me to be a passionate observer. I will still be involved at some level. I may be a delegate to a convention or two. I may lend a hand and a few bucks to my favorite candidates. I will certainly express my opinion to those who represent me at any level.

AND > > > > I'll feel a little sad at 5:00 p.m. on the last day of the filing period, when my declaration is not in the County Clerk's office. I'll feel a little sad on the day of the convention, when I can't give a speech and shake some hands. I'll feel a little sad on election night when I'm watching the results and my name isn't on the screen. I'll feel a little sad when I read the newspapers next year and see the issues that I'd like to help decide.

It has been said that accepting what we cannot change takes wisdom. I'm accepting what can't be changed, and I hope that I can show enough wisdom to figure out what I'm going to do instead!

No comments:

Why I'm called "Nutter Grandma"

Many years ago, one of my daughters married a man with children. The youngest was barely learning to talk. His father told his kids they were going to have another grandma. The next time one of them saw me, he called me "Nutter Grandma" and it stuck.

Then, I became a grandma of my own sweet grandchildren. As of now, there are nine. I always hope for more -- but the older my children (and grandchildren) get, the less likely that is.

Later, I became a "step" grandma and a "step" great grandma. So, in many ways, I am still Nutter Grandma. Amazingly, no matter how many of those little ones come into my life, and no matter how they come, I love them all!

P.S. In 2010 I became "step" grandma to a few more grandchildren when I married (yup, again). I guess those little ones who called me "Nutter Grandma" almost 30 years ago knew what they were doing.