Monday, September 12, 2011

A 30-YEAR MEMORY -- BACK IN A FLASH

Over 30 years ago my mother was killed in an auto accident.  It was during a violent rainstorm and she lost control of her car.  It was traumatic and unbelievable.  We need our moms.  We aren't meant to be orphans (even if we are 30 or 40).  Her children were "young marrieds" or "young adults" and most of her grandchildren had not been born.  Even now, many of those grandchildren only know Grandma Jenkins from photos or by hearing stories told by one of her children (that would be me and my siblings).  It took a long time to speak of hear without tearing up.

Over time, I recall thinking of her less often with sadness and more often with respect and admiration.  I recalled her talents and all she had accomplished.  I wished I had paid a little more attention to how she "put on a quilt" or how she made dill pickles.

In more recent years, I rarely get tears in my eyes when I think of her or speak of her.

Until today . . . .   You see, today is the day I learned that Sherri Winder was killed in an auto accident.  Apparently it was also in a violent rainstorm.  Today, I cried for Sherri and for her family and for my mother.  The memory was too vivid - at least today.  You see, I know how Aimee and Mike and their siblings are feeling.  I can imagine how Kent is feeling, because I spent so much time with my father when he was feeling the same way.

There isn't much to say.  Everything I know about losing someone and everything I know about where Sherri is and everything I know about forever families is something that the Winder family already knows.

The only thing I can add . . . they will acquire perspective and time will help.  I know that because I have 30 years between my traumatic experience and today. 




1 comment:

Rhetta said...

Thank you , Janice. I think we are all feeling a bit lost not only with how to share our immense love with the family but also how to deal with the loss of people who are larger than life and so vital. My heart is so full and yet broken...

Why I'm called "Nutter Grandma"

Many years ago, one of my daughters married a man with children. The youngest was barely learning to talk. His father told his kids they were going to have another grandma. The next time one of them saw me, he called me "Nutter Grandma" and it stuck.

Then, I became a grandma of my own sweet grandchildren. As of now, there are nine. I always hope for more -- but the older my children (and grandchildren) get, the less likely that is.

Later, I became a "step" grandma and a "step" great grandma. So, in many ways, I am still Nutter Grandma. Amazingly, no matter how many of those little ones come into my life, and no matter how they come, I love them all!

P.S. In 2010 I became "step" grandma to a few more grandchildren when I married (yup, again). I guess those little ones who called me "Nutter Grandma" almost 30 years ago knew what they were doing.