Tuesday, January 31, 2012

WHEN I GROW UP > > >

When I grow up I think I won't be an accountant.  As much as I love the work - as much as I love the people I have worked with - as much as I know that my work led me to all the other great experiences I have had (including being a Mayor), I hate that the month of January and part of December are pretty grueseome.  For many, may years (40+) I have had people ask me why I have to work so much during the "holidays". 

For some ironic reason, the time when most people are taking a little extra time to be with family, shop, decorate, prepare is the same time I am going through the LONG checklist of things that must be completed before December 31 at midnight if I want them "on the books" this year.  Then, the new year is full of W-2's, tax reports. manufacturing census forms, setting up new files, reconciling the assets and depreciation, etc. etc. etc.

The moral of the story is ever so simple.  If you truly want to have extra time off at Christmas time, or if you want to start the new year with plenty of time to clean the old stuff from your closets and drawers to make room for the new stuff, or if you want to be able to stay at home when the weather is crummy, don't be an accountant when you grow up.

Of course, that might also mean that you won't love your work, or the people, or the experiences.  The salary hasn't been too bad either.  I have been told that it is one career where there is no "gender gap."  OK by me.





No comments:

Why I'm called "Nutter Grandma"

Many years ago, one of my daughters married a man with children. The youngest was barely learning to talk. His father told his kids they were going to have another grandma. The next time one of them saw me, he called me "Nutter Grandma" and it stuck.

Then, I became a grandma of my own sweet grandchildren. As of now, there are nine. I always hope for more -- but the older my children (and grandchildren) get, the less likely that is.

Later, I became a "step" grandma and a "step" great grandma. So, in many ways, I am still Nutter Grandma. Amazingly, no matter how many of those little ones come into my life, and no matter how they come, I love them all!

P.S. In 2010 I became "step" grandma to a few more grandchildren when I married (yup, again). I guess those little ones who called me "Nutter Grandma" almost 30 years ago knew what they were doing.